Friday 7 June 2013

The 36th Blogger of Shaolin

Photo



Thanks to Tumblr, whenever anyone asks me my opinion on “the BBC” I don’t know...

Thanks to Tumblr, whenever anyone asks me my opinion on “the BBC” I don’t know whether they’re talking about the home of Sherlock, Luther, and the original The Office or whether they just want to hear my musings on big black cock.

wing chun

What about it? I'm confused. Do you want me to post more of it? The martial art or the film? Care to give a little detail?

Not exactly super exciting, I know, but here are the first...







Not exactly super exciting, I know, but here are the first official skills from Tony Jaa's "Tom Yum Goong 2" aka "The Protector 2."

Photo



The block/defence science behind 7 Star Northern Mantis kung fu....



The block/defence science behind 7 Star Northern Mantis kung fu. Amazing stuff. The idea of experiencing the pressure of an attack and then pivoting around the blow in order to block and/or strike just makes me dumbstruck. This is properly thought out combat.

A rare photo of Bruce Lee taken on the set of "The Big...



A rare photo of Bruce Lee taken on the set of "The Big Boss."

gunsandposes said: Wong Jing's insane "New Legend of Shaolin" is a retelling of Lone Wolf &...

gunsandposes said:

Wong Jing's insane "New Legend of Shaolin" is a retelling of Lone Wolf & Cub, is it not? The universe is big enough for multiple versions.

I disagree. Granted, “New Legend of Shaolin” is a vague retelling of the story but it doesn’t exactly stay true to any type of source material.
Everyone loves “Fist of Legend” but if a Hollywood director had plans to remake “Fist of Fury” or any other Bruce Lee film, I imagine the world would end.
It’s not the remake idea I hate (though I do dislike it), it’s the Hollywood aesthetic. They like to take classics and make them their own. And sadly, it doesn’t work.

One of the joys of watching the “Lone Wolf and Cub” series or even the “Shogun Assassin” films is that they have that 70’s/80’s grit to them. They’re distinctly non-glossy and, let’s face it, most of the people who appreciate the films these days have no idea who Tomisaburo Wakayama is. That’s part of the appeal.

Make a “based upon” film all you like but a straight up remake? I don’t share your opinion I’m afraid.

 

 

The certainly put the "fur" in...



The certainly put the "fur" in "furious."

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five.

Are people actually aware that the director of the last four “Fast and Furious” films is...

Are people actually aware that the director of the last four “Fast and Furious” films is remaking “Lone Wolf and Cub?”

First “Oldboy” and now this. If Paul Walker plays Ogami Itto and carries a laser sword, I will throw myself into a river.

Here's a stills set from the Venoms' "Flag of...



















Here's a stills set from the Venoms' "Flag of Iron." While it isn't the greatest Venoms flick, it's one of their more experimental efforts. The all flag finale is entertaining, even if it is a little gimmicky.

Worth picking up though, as it's a measly ten dollars here.

Photo



Photo



It's not the talent I'm in awe of. It's the...



It's not the talent I'm in awe of. It's the patience it took.

Photo



Now this is what I'm talking about! If you've ever...



Now this is what I'm talking about! If you've ever questioned the science of kung fu, you should give this a watch.
This 7 Star Northern Mantis teacher breaks down the concept behind body movement and how important it is when it comes to attacking.
I think this is the first time I've heard a teacher mention specific bones and nerves in regards to striking and defending. More importantly, it all makes perfect sense.
It's amazing how a single move of the shoulder can mean so much in a fight.

The rooftop one-on-one between Donnie Yen and Yu Rong Guang in...













The rooftop one-on-one between Donnie Yen and Yu Rong Guang in "Iron Monkey."

les-dents-du-singe said: love the video. have to disagree about the beats though. i've always...

les-dents-du-singe said:

love the video. have to disagree about the beats though. i've always liked maker, jackson jones, meaty ogre, dj white lightning and all those g4 guys on the beats. maybe b/c i'm partial to chicago.

I lived in Chicago for a few years, myself. Even went to see Typical Cats live.
I’m not saying the beat makers don’t have talent but they tend to make the tracks a little “thick.” I prefer Qwel over sparse production so that he can be heard.
But then, to each his own I suppose.

This video is pretty insane, but the song is super...



This video is pretty insane, but the song is super dope…especially that second verse.
I've always rated Qwel highly but felt as though he didn't really have noticeable beats behind him. It's the same for this album. The production is very hit and miss for me.

Still…this song's definitely one of the highlights.

Consider Sean Price has thirty eight albums to his name, when...



Consider Sean Price has thirty eight albums to his name, when are we going to see a Rock solo LP?
I'm I've been re-listening to both Magnum Force and Nocturnal recently and think is easily one of the most unsung talents on the microphone.
In fact, when the greatest rap duos of all time are mentioned, people tend to lean towards Gangstarr and Outkast while Heltah Skeltah don't get a look in.

No comments:

Post a Comment